WSLS, Graham Media’s NBC affiliate in Roanoke, Va., is holding a free WSLS 10 Drive-Thru Trick-or-Treating event Friday from 4:30 until 6:30 p.m. at the Layman Family Farm.
WSLS, Graham Media’s NBC affiliate in Roanoke, Va., is holding a free WSLS 10 Drive-Thru Trick-or-Treating event Friday evening from 4:30 until 6:30 at the Layman Family Farm.
WSLS is taking precautionary actions and following the Virginia Department of Health guidelines. To keep everyone safe, volunteers will be wearing masks and dropping candy directly into Halloween bags, avoiding any physical contact.
“Our goal is to create a safe experience where our children and neighbors can continue making positive memories during these trying times,” said Jaimie León, WSLS general manager.
During the drive, cars will stop at 20 different candy stations, where 120,000 individually wrapped pieces of candy will be handed out.
Chrissy Funk, WSLS’ creative services director, said this Facebook post has seen more than 100,000 engagements, and more than 2,500 people have signed up to attend. Funk credits the station’s partnership with social media vendor, Social News Desk, as the silver bullet in helping WSLS spread the word.
Kim Wilson, Social News Desk’s founder, said the station leveraged SND’s new paid-social ads technology to drive awareness and signups.
“Our team at SND is using the newsroom’s own organic social content to build ads that drive real results. In this case, we were able to dramatically increase the number of signups WSLS got for this event. It’s really exciting.”
Here are a few expected actions taken and/or required of volunteers, partners, and sponsors:
- Wear masks and remain six feet apart.
- Understand costumes are not considered proper face coverings.
- Self-screen before the event.
- There is to be no physical contact.
- To keep guests six feet apart from volunteers, candy and other fun trinkets will be delivered directly to guests Halloween bags by extended grippers or scoops.
- WSLS 10 is providing all helpers hand sanitizer bottles and will also have sanitizer at each candy stop for the helpers.
For guests driving-thru for the Halloween event, WSLS 10 is:
- Asking everyone in the vehicle to wear proper face coverings during the event. This is to help protect all the event helpers.
- Requesting you to self-screen before coming to the event.
- Understand you are not allowed out of the car while attending this event.
- Do not attend if experiencing symptoms related to COVID-19.